Women contemplating a medical abortion using the abortion pill usually source this drug from a provider, a clinic near them, or an online source.
Women obtaining this medication should proceed with caution, however. There are several factors to consider for health and safety before using this drug combination.
What Is the Abortion Pill?
The abortion pill is a drug combination women use to induce a pregnancy termination. This is how it’s accomplished:
- First, mifepristone is used, which causes the embryo to become detached by blocking a natural and essential hormone called progesterone.
- Next, misoprostol is taken and causes cramping that causes the embryo and pregnancy tissue to be pushed out of the body.
What Should I Know For My Safety?
Seeing a professional before using the abortion pill is important because it helps protect your health and safety and ensures you understand all your options.
According to the Mayo Clinic, some women do not qualify to use the abortion pill, including those who:
- Are too far along in your pregnancy.
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD).
- Have a suspected pregnancy outside of the uterus (ectopic pregnancy).
- Have certain medical conditions.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines.
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care.
- Have an allergy to the medicine used.
A trusted provider can obtain your medical history and perform certain exams to gain further knowledge of your pregnancy status to understand if you qualify for this procedure.
Furthermore, there are over 200 medications that aren’t recommended to be taken with mifepristone. It’s important to speak with a professional about current medications before taking another, such as the abortion pill.
Where Should I Go First?
Here at True Care, we have a team of qualified professionals ready to provide you with more information on your options without compromising your health.
Make a free, confidential appointment today. We’re here to help give you all the facts to help protect your safety and wellness.