You think you might be pregnant. It’s unplanned and you’re not sure what to do. Even though your emotions may be running high, from fear to uncertainty, shock to sadness, it’s important for you to get the information you need. If you’re thinking about abortion, there are things you owe yourself to know and certain steps you should take in order to make the best decision for your future.
1. Get Tested for STIs – You’ll need to be tested for STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections) to make sure you don’t have chlamydia or gonorrhea. These diseases can have negative consequences if they are not treated before getting an abortion or giving birth. At True Care, our nurses provides these tests and we don’t charge patients for the testing.
2. Perform a Pregnancy Test – You may have taken a home pregnancy test; you may have taken five home tests. Although home pregnancy tests can be very accurate, only a medical professional can provide you with a verification of pregnancy, which can be used by Medicaid and your insurance company. Our nurses provide both a high quality, early pregnancy test and give you a verification of pregnancy.
3. Determine Viability and Gestational Age – A positive pregnancy test does not necessarily mean that your pregnancy is viable or will continue. More than 25 percent of pregnancies end on their own before seven weeks due to natural processes, such as miscarriage. It is also very important to find out how far along you are in your pregnancy as this will determine which abortion procedures you would be eligible for. True Care’s medical staff can provide a free ultrasound so that you can have the accurate information you need. Our nurses have even seen the rare ectopic pregnancy, which can be life-threatening, yet may be unknown to a woman without an ultrasound.
4. Get Information on all Pregnancy Options – You have a decision to make if you’re pregnant, and you do have choices. At True Care, we will give you information on all your pregnancy options. The brochures we give our patients are relevant, accurate, and educational; these will help you make an informed decision. We will also give you a personalized resource list so you know where to go for things you need, such as job training programs, housing, and materials assistance. Our Resource Coordinator can help you pre-qualify for Medicaid if you need it.
5. Know Your Rights – You have a right to know about a physician who performs abortions, his/her license, malpractice history, and if he/she is insured should you be injured or die from an abortion procedure.
No matter what you are planning to do with your pregnancy (or even if you have no idea), you owe it to yourself to have accurate information so you can make an educated and informed decision. True Care Women’s Resource Center in Casper, Wyoming wants to provide those answers. To set up a free, confidential appointment, call or text 307-215-9684.